As a new year approaches, some a lot of people do is make resolutions to give up this or to stop that.
A classic hymn was written by Judson W. Vandeventer (1855-1936) with the tune written by Winfield S. Weeden (1847-1908). Weeden was a song leader at a New York Y.M.C.A.
The name of the hymn was “I Surrender All.”
But “Nay, all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us” (Romans 8:37).
Many think that if they just surrender their heart’s greatest desires, God will accept their sacrifice and grant them love and salvation. Romans 5:8 explains it is not about our surrender, but His surrender at the cross.
“But commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
So, as we modify the lyrics to this old hymn, declare the victory we now have through Christ.
- All through Jesus, I can conquer, all my sins He doe’s forgive;
I will ever love and trust Him, for His purpose daily live.
2. All through Jesus, I can conquer, thankful for the grace I’ve found;
Victory over worldly sorrows, thank You, Jesus, praise You now!
3. All through Jesus, I can conquer by the cross, my works resign;
Praying for me, Holy Spirit, truly Thou has made me thine.
4. All through Jesus, I can conquer, You surrendered all for me;
Sin and death are all defeated, over all the victory!
5. All through Jesus, I can conquer justified I now can claim;
O, the joy of full salvation! Glory, glory, to His name!
Chorus: I can conquer all — I can conquer all through Thee, my blessed Savior, I can conquer all.
May you be able to sing this in the New Year and throughout all of eternity.